Loren Galvão, M.D., M.P.H.
- Senior Scientist at the Center for Urban Population Health, Senior Scientist, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee College of Nursing, Center for Cultural Diversity and Global Health Honorary Fellow of Population Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH)
Dr. Galvão received her M.D. degree from the Federal University of Pelotas in Brazil and her M.P.H. from the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor. Her primary research interests and publications are in the prevention of HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections among women and other vulnerable populations in the U.S. and globally, evaluation of the effectiveness of multilevel ecological/structural interventions on HIV in resource limited settings, population health and public health assessments, community-based participatory research methods and translating research findings into policies and programs. Her program of research is currently funded by NIH-NICHD, statewide academic-community partnership health foundations and UWM research grants. She has also been funded in the past decades by USAID, the MacArthur Foundation and the Gates Foundation. Before joining CUPH, Dr. Galvão worked extensively in international health over sixteen years, with experience in eighteen countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe. From 1995-2001 she was National Advisor for the Reproductive Health/HIV/AIDS Program at the Population Council–Brazil. She has also worked for four years at Save The Children–USA. During the past decade she has served as a consultant for several international and academic institutions, including the World Health Organization, Population Council, Engender Health, The University of Michigan–Ann Arbor and Family Health International.
- Nieto, F. J., Peppard, P. E., Engelman, C. D., McElroy, J. A., Galvao, L. W., Friedman, E. M., Bersch, A. J., Malecki, K. C. (2010). The Survey of the Health of Wisconsin (SHOW), A Novel Infrastructure for Population Health Research: Rationale and Methods. BMC Public Health, 10.
- Bergstrom, J. P., Partington, S., Murphy, M. K., Galvão, L., Fayram, E., & Cisler, R. A. (2009). Active consent in urban elementary schools: An examination of demographic differences in consent rates. Evaluation Review, 33(5), 481-496. Doi:10.1177/0193841X09339987. PMID: 19596834.
- Mori, N., Blair, K. A., Salm Ward, T. C., Bergstrom, J., Galvao, L., & Cisler, R. A. (2009). Setting a goal to reduce teen births in Milwaukee by 2015. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 108(7), 365-369. PMID: 19886585.
- Weinhardt, L. S., Galvao, L. W., Stevens, P. E., Masanjala, W., Bryant, C., & Ng’ombe, T. (2009). Broadening research on microfinance and related strategies for HIV prevention: Commentary on Dworkin and Blankenship. AIDS and Behavior, 13(3): 470-473.
- Chen, M., Macaluso, M., Blackwell, R., Galvão, L., Kulczycki, A., Diaz, J., Jamieson, D., & Duerr, (2007). Self-reported mechanical problems during condom use and semen exposure: Comparison of two randomized trials in the United States of America and Brazil. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 34(8): 557-562. PMID: 17417133.
- Stevens, P. E. & Galvão, L. W. (2007). “He won’t use condoms”: HIV-infected women’s struggles in serodiscordant primary partnerships. American Journal of Public Health, 97(6), 1015-1022.
- Galvão L., Oliveira, L. C., Diaz, J., Kim, D., Marchi, N. M., Van dam, J., Castilho, R., Chen, M., Macaluso, M. (2005). Effectiveness of female and male condoms in preventing exposure to semen during vaginal intercourse: A randomized trial. Contraception, 71(2), 130-136. PMID: 15707563.