Geoffrey R. Swain, M.D., M.P.H.
Center Scientist, Center for Urban Population; Health Medical Director & Chief Medical Officer, City of Milwaukee Health Department (MHD) Professor of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Healt
Dr. Swain is a board-certified Family Physician. He has extensive clinical, teaching, research, health policy, and leadership experience, including as academic medical faculty since September 1990, and public health administration at MHD since December 1993. Dr. Swain has served on a number of statewide, regional, and national groups. Dr. Swain is interested in the full spectrum of public health practice, and particularly in addressing the social and economic drivers of poor health outcomes and health inequities. Before entering public health, Dr. Swain was a faculty member at the St. Mary's Family Practice Residency in Milwaukee, and prior to that he provided full-time direct patient care at a Milwaukee-area staff-model HMO.
- Hood, C.M., Gennuso, K.P., Swain, G.R., & Catlin, B.B. (2016). County Health Rankings: Relationships between Determinant Factors and Health Outcomes. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 50(2):129-135.
- Swain, G.R., Grande, K.M., Hood, C.M., & Inzeo, P.T. (2014). Health Care Professionals: Opportunities to Address Social Determinants of Health. Commentary, Wisconsin Medical Journal, 113(6);10-14.
- Grande, K.M., Hunter, P., Biedrzycki, P.A., & Swain, G.R. (2014). Social Determinants of Health in Public Health Practice: Case Study of Rent Stipends to Augment Tuberculosis Cluster Management. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 2014;25(4):1799-1809.
- Ceraso, M., Swain, G.R., Vergeront, J.M., Oliver, T.R., & Remington, P.L. (2014). Academic Health Departments as Training Sites for Future Public Health Leaders: A Partnership Model in Wisconsin. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 20(3):324-9.
- Greer, D.M., Baumgardner, D.J., Bridgewater, F.D., Frazer, D.A., Kessler, C.L., LeCounte, E.S., Swain, G.R., & Cisler, R.A. (2013). Milwaukee Health Report 2013: Health Disparities in Milwaukee by Socioeconomic Status. Center for Urban Population Health: Milwaukee, WI