Paul Florsheim, Ph.D.
Center Scientist, Center for Urban Population Health Associate Professor in Social Welfare, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
Dr. Florsheim's primary interests include adolescent mental health and the development of prevention and treatment programs for high-risk youth. Dr. Florsheim's research in Milwaukee includes: (1) The Milwaukee Young Parenthood Project (Co PI, Sheri Johnson, PhD) designed to test the efficacy of a coparenting counseling program for pregnant adolescents and their partners. The program is intended to support the development of positive interperonal skills essential for parenting. This project is funded by the office of Adolescent Pregnancy Programs through 2010. Dr. Florsheim earned a bachelor's degree in history from Wesleyan University, a master's degree in social sciences from the University of Chicago, and a doctorate in clinical psychology from Northwestern University. Dr. Florsheim has worked as a clinician and supervisor in various treatment and educational settings, and has received research funding from the NIMH, the Fogarty International Center (National Institutes of Health), the Office of Population Affairs, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. He is a licensed clinical psychologist. (2) Project Health, designed to test a project based collaborative learning approach to health education for high school students. This research program involves a collaboration between The School of Public Health, The Milwaukee Public Schools, The UWM Film Department, and Spyhop which is a youth media program. Project Health has been funded by the CDC.
- Zusevics, K., Lemke, M., Harley, A., and Florsheim, P. (2013). Project Health: Evaluation of a Project-Based Health Education Program. Health Education 133:3 (232-253).
- Florsheim, P., Burrow-Sanchez J. J., Minami, T., McArthur, L., Heavin, S., Hudak, C. (2012). Young Parenthood Program: Supporting positive paternal engagement through coparenting counseling.American Journal of Public Health, 102(10), 1886-1892. PMID: 22897540
- Smith, T. W., Uchino, B. N., Berg, C. A., Florsheim, P. (2012). Marital discord and coronary artery disease: A comparison of behaviorally defined discrete groups. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 80(1), 87-92. PMID: 22182260
- Florsheim, P., McArthur, L., Hudak, C., Heavin, S., Burrow-Sanchez, J. (2011). The Young Parenthood Program: Preventing intimate partner violence between adolescent mothers and young fathers. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy, 10(2), 117-134.
- Ngu, L. & Florsheim, P. (2011). The development of relational competence among young high-risk fathers across the transition to parenthood. Family Process, 50(2):184-202. PMID: 21564060.
- Smith, T. W., Uchino, B. N., Florsheim, P., Berg, C. A., Butner, J., Hawkins, M., Henry, N. J., Beveridge, R. M., Pearch, G., Hopkins, P. N., Roon, H. C. (2011). Affiliation and control during marital disagreement, history of divorce, and asymptomatic coronary artery calcification in older couples. Pscychosomatic Medicine, 73(4):350-357. PMID: 21364198.
- Ierago, L., Malsol, C., Singeo, T. Kishigawa, Y., Blailes, C., Ord, L., Florsheim, P., Phillips, L., Kuartei, S., Tiobech, J., Myles-Worsley, M., Watson, B., & Ngiralmau, H. (2010). Adoption, family relations, and psychosis among Palauan adolescents who are genetically at risk for developing schizophrenia. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. PMID: 19885633.
- Madraisau, S., Tomoichi, U., Ord, L., Florsheim, P., Phillips, L., Blailes, C., Basilius, M., Kuartei, S., Tiobech, J, Myles-Worsley, M., & Ngiralmau, H. (2010). Early Signs and Symptoms of Psychosis in Palauan Adolescents. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 4(2), 153-161. PMID: 20536971.
- Wainryb, C., Komolova, M., & Florsheim, P. (2010). How violent youth offenders and
typically developing adolescents construct moral agency in narratives about doing harm. In K. McLean & M. Pasupathi (Eds.) Narrative development in adolescence: Creating the storied self, pp. 185-206, Springer.
- Smith, T. W., Berg, C. A., Florsheim, P., Uchino, B. N., Pearce, G., Hawkins, M., Henry, N., Beridge, R., Skinner, M. A., & Olson-Cerny, C. (2009). Conflict and collaboration in middle aged and older couples I: Age differences in agency and communication during marital interaction. Psychology and Aging, 24, 274-286. PMID: 19485646.
- Smith, T.W., Uchino, B.N., Berg, C.A., Florsheim, P., Pearch, G., Hawkins, M., Henry, N., Beveridge, R., Skinner, M.A., Ko, K.J., & Olsen-Cerny, C. (2009). Conflict and collaboration in middle aged and older couples II: Cardiovascular reactivity during marital interaction. Psychology and Aging, 24, 259-273. PMID: 19485647.
- Florsheim, P., Heavin, S., Tiffany, S., Colvin, P., & Hiraoka, R. (2008). An experimental test of a craving management technique for adolescents in substance-abuse treatment. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 37, 1205-1215. Available at: http://www.springerlink.com/content/l6u7h1186r447786/
- Smith, T.W., Uchino, B. N., Berg, C. A., Florsheim, P., Pearche, G., Hawkins, M., Henry, N. J., Beveridge, R. M., Skinner, M. A., Hopkins, P. N., Yoon, H. C. (2008). Associations of self-reports versus spouse ratings of negative affectivity, dominance, and affiliation with coronary artery disease: Where should we look and who should we ask when studying personality and health? Health Psychology, 27(6), 676-684. PMID: 19025262.